Director Trade & Distribution
US: California or Remote
Opiant Pharmaceuticals, Inc., the company that developed NARCAN® Nasal Spray, is advancing medicines to better treat substance use disorders and drug overdose. More than 20 million people in the United States live with a substance-use disorder, while only 10% of those affected receive treatment for their condition. In 2020, drug overdose deaths nationwide hit the highest number ever recorded. To address the diverse and mounting demands of modern-day substance use, Opiant is advancing a pipeline of scientifically informed treatment approaches for opioid use disorder and overdose, alcohol use disorder and acute cannabinoid overdose. At Opiant, we know it takes more than medicine and are also leveraging our social impact initiatives to support SUD and overdose awareness, care and prevention. For more information visit: www.opiant.com.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Market Access & Reimbursement, the Director of Trade & Distribution (‘T&D’), will lead the T&D organization and create the channel strategy for Opiant products, for trade customers during prep-for-launch, launch, and post-launch phases in the United States. The position involves working closely with other members of the commercial team, including marketing, market access, and business analytics, as well as other cross-functional partners including manufacturing/supply chain, quality, finance, and legal. It will require building and then leading a customer support team.
Your key responsibilities:
Lead Channel Strategy
• Plan for product reach in key channels (e.g. Retail wholesalers, IDN/hospital, pharmacy, Public Interest (Dept. of Health, EMS, first responder), VA/DoD, etc.)
• Lead drug listing process (e.g. Medi-Span, First Databank, Red Book, Cerner, etc.)
• Work closely with the Head of Market Access on price modeling recommendations, and adequate stocking and supply.
• Build and lead a customer support team in close collaboration with 3PL.
Develop Contracting Strategies and Agreements
• Determine essential services needed from trading partners, serving as the basis for trade contracts
• Lead a cross-functional team to develop wholesaler and pharmacy contracts
• Define the fair market value for services delivered
• Draft/deliver/negotiate contracts with trade partners on behalf of the company
• Build relationships with key trade customers
• Oversee 3PL (set-up, implementation, and day-to-day management)
• Manage serialization process
Integrate with Internal Partners
• Work closely with the Executive Director of Market Access and Finance to ensure appropriate trade inputs into P&L and gross to net calculation
• Assess needs and workload of department to determine future staffing/resourcing plans (e.g. 3PL Manager, Trade Account Manager(s), Contracting Ops, etc)
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Bachelors Required; additional MBA or MS preferred
• 10+ years of working in the pharma/biotech space
• US Trade/channel strategy experience – specifically setting channel strategy and pulling through contracts
• Contract Development and Negotiation
• Managing vendors – independent consultants
• Able to travel 20-30% if living near the home office. If Remote, Travel of ~50%
Additional preferred experience
• Experience with product launch
• Experience with Medicare Part D, Commercial & Medicaid
• Experience with products that go through specialty distribution
• Therapeutic area: Addiction, and the Public Interest Market
• Experience managing, building, and developing a remote team
Opiant Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Opiant embraces diversity, equal opportunity, and inclusion. We support employees who are in recovery from substance use disorders. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace where we work to the following ‘O-P-I-A-N-T’ standards: open-minded, professional, innovative, accountable, noble and trustworthy.