Associate Director of State Government Affairs
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Opiant Pharmaceuticals, Inc., the company that developed NARCAN® Nasal Spray, is advancing medicines to better treat substance use disorders and drug overdose. More than 20 million people in the United States live with a substance-use disorder, while only 10% of those affected receive treatment for their condition. In 2020, drug overdose deaths nationwide hit the highest number ever recorded. To address the diverse and mounting demands of modern-day substance use, Opiant is advancing a pipeline of scientifically informed treatment approaches for opioid use disorder and overdose, alcohol use disorder and acute cannabinoid overdose. At Opiant, we know it takes more than medicine and are also leveraging our social impact initiatives to support SUD and overdose awareness, care and prevention. For more information visit: www.opiant.com.
The Associate Director of State Government Affairs will help refine and implement the Government Affairs strategy in the U.S. for Opiant Pharmaceuticals.
Your focus will be on state legislative, statute, regulation, and policy issues that relate to our launch of OPNT003, nasal nalmefene, an investigative development-stage treatment for opioid overdose reversal.
You will provide policy advice and support to our Government Affairs lead and Company leadership.
The Associate Director of State Government Affairs will collaborate as appropriate to identify emerging policy trends, risks, and opportunities with our business leaders and cross-functional teams.
This role is based in Santa Monica, California.
Your key responsibilities:
- Develop, manage and coordinate government affairs strategies, government relations initiatives, operations, and stakeholder engagement activities related to our mission, pipeline, and objectives for OPNT003, nasal nalmefene.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships within state government, including elected leadership, Departments of Health and Public Health, state Criminal Justice and Boards of Medicine and Pharmacy.
- Utilize dynamic relationships within state government and with external lobbyists to support complete access to OPNT003 by updating legislation, regulations, standing orders, and support activities for Emergency Medical Services (‘EMS’) protocols to include dosing requirements of OPNT003.
- Track significant state and local grants focused on mitigating the Opioid Epidemic through use of opioid overdose reversal agents. Determine specifically:
- Grant Budgets
- Community awardees
- Products purchased by those grants
- Seed co-prescribing legislation in identified states. Support introduced co-prescribing legislation through working with the sponsor’s office, managing national and state lobbyist teams, and engaging an effective advocacy strategy.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- 8+ years in the pharmaceutical, public policy, market access, or government affairs is required
- 5 + years of work in government relations, at least three years of direct lobbying and engagement with patient advocacy groups
- Business acumen and understanding of commercial business.
- Experience in dealing with the government and other external stakeholders. Experience and knowledge of political and policy areas.
- Broad knowledge of the biopharma industry; working knowledge of health economics, outcomes, and value creation.
- Well-developed knowledge of the systemic causes, impact, and solutions (including policy) surrounding the opioid epidemic.
- Strategic and creative thinker who can construct compelling stories that resonate with internal/external audiences.
- Political objectivity in communications with all stakeholders.
- Ability to identify and prioritize activities to drive Opiant’s Government Affairs strategy and objectives.
- Able to collaborate on cross-functional strategic initiatives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess high ethical standards
- Estimated travel at 40%
Opiant Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Opiant embraces diversity, equal opportunity, and inclusion. We support employees who are in recovery from substance use disorders. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace where we work to the following ‘O-P-I-A-N-T’ standards: open-minded, professional, innovative, accountable, noble and trustworthy.